Apple and Lenovo Retain Leadership in Tablet and Chromebook Segments in Q3 2021; Shipments refused: Canalys

0
42

Chromebook and tablet shipments saw a decline in growth in the third quarter of 2021, new Canalys data suggests. The report shows that tablet shipments fell 15 percent year over year to 37.7 million units, while Chromebook shipments fell 37 percent to hit 5.8 million units in the third quarter. According to Canalys, global PC deliveries also fell by 2 percent to 122.1 million units compared to the previous year. The decline is attributed to the decline in demand for these products as digital education programs slow down. Chromebooks fell back to pre-pandemic levels of 9 percent of all notebook shipments when major education markets were saturated, Canalys data shows.

The latest report from research firm Canalys highlights global shipments of tablets, Chromebooks and PCs in the third quarter of 2021. In the tablet segment, Apple maintained its lead with 15.2 million shipments in the third quarter, accounting for 40.4 percent of the market share. Samsung came in second despite a decline of 20 percent, reports Canalys and delivered 7.2 million units in the third quarter. Lenovo, which kept its momentum, was the only vendor in the top 5 to see modest growth with 4.2 million units shipped, an increase of 2 percent year over year. Amazon and Huawei made up the rest of the top 5, with significant declines of 45 percent and 51 percent, respectively.

Canalys says Chromebook vendors struggled in the third quarter as overall market shipments decreased. Lenovo secured first place with 1.4 million units shipped and a market share increase of 24.6 percent. Despite the lead, Lenovo Chromebooks posted a 20.9 percent decline in annual growth. HP saw a significant drop of 66.1 percent per year in the third quarter of 2021, with shipments hitting just 1.09 million. It is said to have a market share of 19 percent. Acer, Dell, and Asus made up the rest of the top 5.

Brian Lynch, research analyst at Canalys, added, “Chrome’s focus on the education market meant it had to slow down at some point. Governments, educational institutions, and households have invested heavily in Chromebooks for more than a year, and with so many students outfitted with devices and schools returning to class, shipping volumes have declined accordingly. Still, Chrome has massively expanded its user base over the past year and a half, and because of that growth, it will have far more update options. Google also made significant investments in the enterprise market this year to broaden its horizons beyond its secure position in education. While this domain is much more of a challenge for Chrome, it will rely on its economy, security, and ease of administration to develop a niche. “

As already mentioned, according to Canalys, worldwide PC deliveries have also decreased by 2 percent compared to the previous year. Lenovo maintained its lead with an increase in market share of over 1 percent to 24.4 million units shipped. Apple stayed in second place with modest growth of 5 percent for total shipments of 23 million units. HP felt the effects of supply bottlenecks with annual shipments falling 6 percent. In fourth place, Dell saw a staggering 27 percent increase in shipments and an almost 3 percent increase in market share. Samsung rounded off the top 5 with a reported 8.3 million units delivered and a 6.9 percent market share.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here